27 April 2014

Review: L'Oreal Paris True Match BB Cream


I am biased when it comes to face products. I tend to gravitate towards products that are lightweight and  won't make my sensitive skin turn into mush. More than being biased, I suppose I am sceptical when it comes to trying out products meant exclusively for my face. I have never used a foundation my entire life (okay, that's a lie; I bought one a few months ago from a well known brand and when I tried it out, I made my face look like a gravel road, which is something that my face is not, so I immediately threw it away) and I don't really intend to do so any time soon. So, I stick to things that I know won't let me down - namely, BB Creams.

I am a little more lenient towards the idea of trying out new BB Creams because I know that they are usually lightweight. Their consistency matters the most to me, mostly because where I live, the sun isn't on its best behaviour. So, I had been eyeing this particular BB Cream - L'Oreal Paris La Creme True Match BB - for the longest time and I finally got around to buying it. Buying it and eventually liking it.

With L'Oreal, it's always a hit or a miss. But of late, they have been giving me no chances to complain. I have loved most of their recent launches and whatever product I have tried from their older collections, I have come to like. This particular range - the True Match range - is rather popular. Whatever product that they have launched within this line has been well-received. So, I went ahead and told myself to give it a try.


At first glance, you'll notice the elegant packaging. The combination of the cream and gold is unusually appealing. The product consistency is a little runny, which makes it difficult for me. Why? I'll tell you why. 
I don't have any brushes to pick up the runny product and buff it into my face. So, I make do with my fingers. However, the consistency is so runny that even if it exceeds the required amount by the slightest margin, there is far too much product on your fingers. 
Then, there's the issue of the white cast that this BB Cream leaves. Since this has SPF 35 with PA+++ (the most amount of UVA protection), there is bound to be a white cast. Personally, the white cast isn't that big of an issue for me if I use the right amount of product - which is the tiniest amount you can imagine. In fact, every time I use this BB Cream, I say a quick little prayer. The white cast does settle into the face naturally, though. After 10-20 minutes, that is. Another thing, getting photographed with this on is a bad idea. It doesn't really photograph well. That is mainly because of the presence of the SPF in it.
Since I am a novice in the SPF department, it took me some time to get used to the idea of having a protective shield on my face. I'm so weird, darn. I occasionally even weird myself out. But the whole SPF and PA thing is definitely a positive factor when it comes to this product. 
My skin is oily and sensitive, which is such a sad combination, really. So, the fact that this product, even after being so runny and having all those (scary new) sun protection benefits, doesn't make my skin turn into ash is surprsing. In fact, it's really good at mattifying. The coverage is good and is buildable, so as long as you take the time to blend it out evenly and wait for the white cast to settle in. It hydrates the skin, instantly neutralizes spots, gives a brighter look to the face and is overall a good product

So, if you skipped past that paragraph, let me just sum it up for you - this BB Cream hydrates, mattifies, neutralizes, evens out the complexion and has an SPF of 35 with PA+++. For ₹550, you get 30 ml of product. I don't think it's a complete waste of money. Sure, it took me a good amount of time to get used to it and a lot of different techniques to avoid looking like a ghost, but if you manage to master those things, you're good to go. I know it won't appeal to a lot of people by the way I described/explained it - I just made it seem like a huge pain-in-the-neck. But, it's a good product. It's worth a try. If I were to rate it, I'd give it a 6.5/10.


Oh, I finally bought a proper camera, by the way. I still have to figure out the lighting and everything, since I live in a dark castle filled with bats and real and not sparkly vampires that won't let sunshine penetrate its walls. The photo above is just me trying to get a hang of the camera. Maybe soon, I'll be somewhere close to being a legitimate blogger. Ah, you and I both know that 'day' is somewhere beyond the rainbow. But, maybe it will happen for real. Here's hoping.