8 March 2014

Review: Rimmel London Apocalips Lip Lacquers.


Happy International Women's Day. I'm kind of taking advantage of this day to thank the beautiful women in my life. My aunts, my sisters, my nieces, my friends, my girlfriend and of course, my mother. Women are such beautiful creatures. Every curve, every hair and every inch is a result of love from the Almighty. I know, sometimes, with what's going on in this extremely, extremely stupid (couldn't find a better word but it fits) country, we, as women, feel disheartened. But it's not the end of the world. We just need to be brave and work towards making this world a better place. I feel blessed that I was born in the North-Eastern part of India, where women are respected so much. I just wish it was the same for the rest of the country and the rest of the world. So, what do you do when you're feeling down? You don't cower and hide, you wear a strong smokey eye and bold lip and go show them who created them. That's it. Here's to a world full of strong, beautiful, nurturing women who know their importance! Cheers! *drinks some Tang*

I first laid my eyes on the Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquers quite a while ago. They intrigued me and I would visit Asos's Rimmel page almost every weekend to figure out which shades I would pick up, if I were given a chance. And then, by God's kindness, these made their way into India. Strangely enough, the shades that were available in India were a mix of shades available in the U.S. (they're known as the Show Off Lip Lacquers there, I believe) and those available elsewhere. I didn't mind, though. I was quite happy with the news. So, in January, when I had some bread, I bought four shades on a whim. Most of the ones I wanted were sold out, which was really sad. But I didn't mind. Oh, I did not mind at all.


Rimmel describes them as: 

"It's the End of Colour as you know it! 
The intense rich colour of a lipstick, enhanced by a satin smooth shine. 

It's neither a lipstick nor a gloss... It's BIGGER than both! 

LONG LIVE THE COLOUR!"



I'm going to be honest with you. These are dreamy. Dreamy and fabulous. Let me put it this way - Imagine your crush/partner and the things he/she does to your heart. These lip lacquers do the same to your lips. The application is a dream. As you can see, it's a doe-foot applicator with a little well inside so that you don't have to cram the applicator inside more than twice for each use. The well collects some product and magically spurts it out when you're applying it. They are very, very creamy and extremely pigmented. Their lasting power is super impressive. Even after eating, drinking and what not, these last. If not as glossy as before, they last and look like a stain. They do look like lacquers and are glossy in the beginning but more often than not, they dry to a matte finish. However, the finish is not drying whatsoever. These are hydrating. The only problem I have with these is the slight medicinal fragrance they have. But it does disappear moments after you put them on, which is great. I also quite like the futuristic looking black packaging. The top is kind of like the glaciers, don't you think? Ah, maybe it's just me.

I got these in 3 regular shades (from the U.K. line, I believe) and 1 from the U.S. line. I got them over at Slassy.Com and their service is flawless (so far). They cost ₹475 each and have 5.5 ml of product. I don't mind the price this time around, considering the amazing formula and pigmentation. 


500 Luna
One of my favourites from the four I got. I love this colour. I'd say it's a peachy orange. If I were to describe it in my language, I'd describe this as a pastel neon orange. Go figure. It's a beautiful spring shade. A little warning though, if you are terribly afraid of shades that would make you look darker , I'd steer clear of this colour. However, this gives my skin a sun-kissed glow (will look sun-fried by the time summer rolls around). I do enjoy challenging colours. This one is hard to pull of and requires a lot of restraint on departments other than lips. 


102 Nova
The absolute least favourite of the four I got. I was looking forward to buying '301 Galaxy' (a blue toned pink-ish purple) but since it was out of stock, I had to settle for this one. It's an in-your-face loud pink. A Barbie pink, if you will. It looks super unflattering on me. However, since I did spend quite a bit of money on it, I might as well layer this over darker shades just so I get my money's worth. If you're crazy into pinks, you may like this. Be warned, though. It's intensely pigmented and looks much brighter in person. *shivers*


201 Solstice
This is one of the shades available in the U.S. I think. I do enjoy this one. It's a mauve-y pink and is an everyday shade. It's probably my most used Apocalips, at the moment. It's a super flattering colour and is one of those few colours that looks good when you've got a lot going on eye makeup-wise. 


400 Big Bang
I kind of saved the best one for the last, yeah. This one really is a big bang on your lips. It's a universal red. I am saying so, because I have a cool undertone and my friend, Gigi, has a warm undertone. Surprisingly, we both look fantastic when we use this. Okay, get this: I tested this out alone one night and then I removed it. I put on MAC's Ruby Woo and layered this over it. Guess what? I didn't come off for ages and ages. Honest to God. This is my absolute favourite among the four. I highly suggest you pick this one up, if you decide to try this line.


Overall, I think you're getting a brilliant product for ₹475. You're getting your money's worth. They are creamy, they glide on like a dream, they're pigmented, they're long lasting and they look more fierce than your average lipstick. If I were to rate these bad boys, I'd give them a 9/10. A little deduction because of the fragrance and a tiny bit for the price. I sure like these very much. Maybe I finally ought to pick up '301 Galaxy' and be contented with my life. They're that good. Okay, I'll stop raving and go.